Sunday, May 5, 2013

True Parental Confessions

All moms know this: being a mommy is hard sometimes. It's partly because we don't get advance notice about what is going to happen with our children each day. Wouldn't it be nice to have a memo waiting for you each morning, outlining all the things that will come up that day? Sort of like that orange juice commercial where the person gets a rundown of all the tough things they are going to deal with that day.

I've cried more than once during the last few days, and I've said a lot of prayers. To keep it simple: my baby has been sick (with two separate illnesses) and my husband is gone on another business trip. These two situations seem to coincide on a regular basis. 

However. I've come to understand that all parents go through tough times, and those tough times make us stronger, wiser individuals. (For example: I finally figured out a mommy wrestling hold that allows me to give Ella her medication by myself without having her promptly eject it from her mouth. She is a wily one!

I thought about a certain scripture often this week:

Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

Sometimes I read it like this:

Ether 12:27 And if parents come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto parents weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all parents that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

This scripture gives me hope. These tough experiences help me learn and grow, and hopefully become a better mommy to my baby girl. 





1 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, you have no idea how much I needed to read this today. I need reminders often that my weaknesses are just opportunities for me to improve. :) Love you! Hope your little one is feeling better.